During October 2023, the SA Climate Change Champs hosted a series of workshops for youth in climate club host schools across the Eastern, Northern and Western Cape. The workshop series was titled the “Presentation and Design Workshops” and set out to promote solution-based thinking in addressing climate change and renewable energy opportunities.
These workshops build on from the Winter Media workshops that were held earlier in July 2023, which equipped the youth with media and journalistic tools to enable them to exercise their voice on media platforms.
The workshop programme was held during weekends, starting on Friday afternoons and ending on Sunday midday and took place during the following dates:
- 13 – 15 October 2023 in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape
- 20 – 22 October 2023 in Upington, Northern Cape
- 27 – 29 October 2023 in Greyton, Western Cape
The workshops were targeted at youth that are part of the climate clubs from the following schools:
- James Jolobe Secondary School, Lungiso High School and Walmer High School in the Eastern Cape;
- Carlton van Heerden High School, Paballelo High School and St Anna Private School in the Northern Cape;
- Diazville High School, Emil Weder High School and Khanyolwethu Secondary School in the Western Cape.
15 Learners joined for each round of the workshop with 5 learner representatives from each school with a teacher supervisor in attendance. The workshop programme was made up of knowledge sharing sessions on climate change adaptation and mitigation and renewable energy, as well as debating, writing and presenting exercises where learners practically implemented their learnings. By the end of the workshops, a total of 45 leaners underwent training on design-thinking and presentation skills.
Following these workshops, we look forward to seeing these youth cohorts amplify their voice on media platforms using these skills learned from both sets of workshops hosted during the year.
This project is co-funded by the European Union, implemented in partnership with the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, and presented by GreenCape.